World’s most popular search engine –Google – has recently released the list of top ten searches (Google Zeitgeist) for 2011. Zeitgeist is a German word which means “spirit of the times.”
John Waley, the lead designer for Google search said: “What we’re trying to find the fast rising search terms. These are the things that typified, or were the hot items in 2011.”
- The most searched for 2011 is Rebecca Black – an American pop singer – who gained extensive media attention with the 2011 single “Friday.”
- Google’s newly launched product G+ is the second most search in 2011.
- In the third place is an American reality television personality and Jackass star – Ryan Dunn.
- A scandal around Casey Anthony with killing her two-year-old daughter, however found not guilty by a jury, made her the Google’s fourth search.
- The fifth position takes highly anticipated shooter video game, Battlefield 3. It’s just striking that 5 million copies of the game were sold in its first week!
- The next one, the sixth search for 2011 is Apple’s product – iPhone 5.
- Adele, British singer-songwriter, sold 208,000 copies of her somophore album “21” in its first week and reached international acclaim. Adele, 22 year –old UK singer is the seventh in the Google’s top searches list.
- Tepco (東京 電力) is Tokyo electric power company. After the 2011 earthquake badly damaged several nuclear reactors, tens of thousands of people who lived near Tepco were displaced, making the town uninhabitable.
- American businessman and creativity genius – Steve Jobs – is ranked 8th. Jobs who served as Apple’s CEO, died on October 5, 2011 at the age of 56.
- The tenth place in Google top searches belongs to iPad 2. 500,000 of iPad2 were sold on the debut weekend.
My next post will be about Google Panda and the most important SEO tips for 2012.