Many of you know that website domain name should be relevant to website’s content and serve its purpose. Meantime, few are aware of SEO-factors when choosing it. There are some major SEO factors that should be taken into account when choosing a domain name.
• Age of domain. While many of you may wonder what the age of domain has to do with it, in fact it really matters. Search engines give more priority to old domains as they are considered more trustworthy. Consequently, the older the domain is, the more important it is considered and the likelihood that it will be ranked higher by search engines is high.
• History of domain. History is another important and prioritized factor. Search engines always check the domain history, if say the domain was penalized or it contained any illegal content, it will be ranked poorly. Thus, keep in mind that before deciding on a domain name, you need to study its history first. It is important not to hurry as you can always buy the appropriate SEO-friendly domain on the web.
• Google Page Rank. It’s highly recommended to buy a relevant high-ranked domain as your website will get a lot of traffic and it will be easier to attract more visitors. So find out its Google page rank. If it is zero or low-ranked, keep in mind that it will take a some time until changes show up considering that Google updates websites’ PR once in 4-6 months, depending on an algorithm change.
• Indexing. Make sure that the domain is indexed by Google, Yahoo and other big search engines; otherwise you won’t get visitors from them. Search engines generally easily index website domains and if they don’t catch, that means something is not quite right about your website, i.e. spam and other content issues may be the reasons for that.
• DMOZ and Yahoo Directory Listings. Check out if the domain is listed in Yahoo and DMOZ directories as this will save your time. However, if it meets all the above-mentioned criteria, you can submit it to these two directories manually. It won’t take much time but you will have to wait a bit until it gets submitted. Normally, directories do not reject the submitted domains if the website has not any serious issues or bugs.
• Backlinks. Research the domain and see if it has any backlinks. Quality and relevant backlinks will increase website’s rankings and save your time and efforts on link building. Also it’s important the domain not to have backlinks from spam websites as it will negatively affect its PR, SERP, etc.
To get maximum ROI (return on your investment), you need to carefully choose a domain. Thus, consider these tips before you decide on a one. Keep in mind that the quality of a domain is important to search engines. Your website traffic, page rank and visibility crucially depend on it.
Next time we are going to speak about subdomains.